Old 28-09-2016, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Winter Squash

Pavel314 wrote:
We eat a lot of squash and pumpkin pie but generally grow too much for just ourselves, so the sheep get the excess as a winter-time treat.

We've never grown turnips, but since the sheep eat beets and carrots, I suppose they'd eat turnips also.

they sell seeds for the purple top turnips by
the lb at the grain elevator. a few $ each lb.
i scatter them around along with the daikon
radish. really helps get more worm food going
and the radishes really have a deep root and
can get large. pokes into that clay pretty good.

p.s. rotting turnips smell like beer.

The Butterscotch are very similar to the Butternut, probably just someone's trade name for their variety.

i think their flavor is different enough to us that i
would not consider them the same. we used to buy the
butterscotch often, but since we've been growing our own
we haven't needed to buy many that often. our choice
actually in the mid-winter after the squash has run
out or for some variety is to get some sweet potatoes.

We once baked a custard in a pumpkin. It was said to be a favorite of George Washington.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaides...-a-Pumpkin.htm

i love anything like that, i bet it was delicious!

most pumpkin pies are basically a custard with pumpkin
pulp mixed in and spices. we don't usually do anything
with pie crusts any more though (instead we like crumbles
or graham cracker crusts). i mostly like things right
out of the skin best of all. trying to reduce sugars as
much as i can (which for me with my sweet-tooth is a
challenge). not because i have any issues, but simply
because i eat a lot of sugar and could use to lose a few
lbs yet. those are the easiest extra calories for me to
target.

well, time to get out there, gotta check the red
peppers and get them picked and then work on some
weeding and transplants.

may rain later. rain in the forecast all week for
both day and evenings. figures as it is also finally
the moderate temperatures that i can get out more and
work harder/longer.

the weekend was beautiful!

cheers,

songbird