Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeßus[_17_] Jeßus[_17_] is offline

Default Managing thick grass in overgrown orchard

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:45:06 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article , Chris Green wrote:
In article ,

Any grazing animals in an orchard will be a disaster, they will browse
as well as graze. Not only will they eat the fruit, they will damage
branches as well.

That's not so. All you have to do is to ensure that the branches are
higher than the browsing height or the tree is protected to that height.
Yes, the animals will prune the trees to keep it that way, but that's
not a big deal. Goats might be a problem, as they will also eat bark,
but cattle, sheep, horses and their related species aren't.

Some sheep breeds browse more than others. My Dorpers are rather
goat-like in some ways and do like to browse a lot. That said, I let
my sheep into the orchard and do little to no damage to the trees once
they've eaten the lower branches, which I don't mind.