Old 06-10-2016, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Which is lighter, an electric or petrol chainsaw ?

In article , gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

Don Wiss wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:

With a total property of 20' x 100' my $50 electric does just fine.

With a property that small a coping saw should be more than adequate.
Truthfully though, i can't imagine you really need a chain saw, a bow
saw should handly anything you need to do and it's a lot safer,

You got to be kidding. I didn't write that I only cut wood from trees on my
property. The size of the property simply limits the space where I can cut.
I have probably sawed up a cord of wood so far.

A cord of wood takes less space than a VW beetle.

There was the tornado that
went right overhead. I cut up most of the Bradford pear street tree that
was in front. I collected from the park many, many loads of limbs to cut.
Then Superstorm Sandy produced more to cut. Then a few months back they
trimmed the trees on the next block and the guys gave me many of the limbs.

You're who's kidding, you didn't say anything about what you will do
with a chainsaw yet you saw fit to mention the size of your property,
which is meaningless, could be a 100 acre hay field with not a tree.
Why do so many people here ask for advice about which chainsaw to buy
yet never mention the most critical information, WHAT they will do
with it. And here you manufacture a detailed story about tree limbs,
none of which require more than a 24" bow saw.
BTW, a Bradford pear is a relatively small tree, of weak wood,
composed of a rather short trunk (~6') of perhaps a 10" diam and then
many small limbs, can easily be sliced up into manageable parts with a
bow saw and limbed with lopers. I wouldn't bother to start up a
chainsaw for dispatching a Bradford pear, or limbs from roadway
trimming. In fact the road crew came down here last week trimming the
limbs over utility lines, they used pole saws and bucket trucks with
bow saws, no chain saws.
Flowering fruit trees generally don't require a chainsaw, not unless
one has a need to play macho man.
For what you describe a good bow saw is all you need... read the
reviews... most agree with me, takes the place of a chain saw, a lot
safer and no polluting smelly/fire hazard gasolene and oil to mess
with... operating a chain saw or even a string trimmer for an hour
breathing those fumes that exhaust right in your face you may as well
be chain smoking three packs a day. I strongly suggest anyone
operating a chainsaw, string trimmer, or lawnmower wear a respirator.
A good bow saw is all you need:
https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-10-30-2...bow%2Bsaw&th=1
Were I slicing up lots of tree limbs I'd have a band saw, there are
blades for every function... many of my neighbors heat with wood, they
slice limbs with a band saw, will cut through a 6" limb like a hot
knife goes through a stick of butter.

Brookly, who died and made you the arbiter of what tools someone should
and should not use for any given purpose?