Old 13-10-2016, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Climber ID - solved

"Jeff Layman" wrote

A couple of months ago I asked for the ID of a climber I saw at Gunby Hall.

Bob Hobden was right about the Family - it was a cucurbit. According to The
Head Gardener at Gunby Hall, it is Thladiantha dubia. I must say I have
never heard of it.

It appears to be a very vigorous herbaceous climber, dying down to its
roots every year, and reasonably hardy (Zone 6A in the USA). Unfortunately
it is dioecious, so unless you get a "matching pair" fruit is very
unlikely.

Apparently plants are available from Great Dixter, so I assume it grows
well there too.

Looks like a bit of a thug to me, certainly too vigorous for my tiny garden.
Red fruit looks nice but, as you say, you need two plants at least for that.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.