Old 19-10-2016, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default new lawn this year?

On 19/10/2016 14:23, lid wrote:

Half our lawn is currently bare earth, wiith the weeds killed off. I'd
like to either sow grass seeds in the bare part, or buy ready made
turf. Which is the better option? Seeds would be cheaper, turf would
be quicker.

If you can prepare the ground and keep people from walking on it for six
months then seed would be my preference. But make sure you feather the
new seed across the edges of the good part(s). Grass comes in lots of
varieties and mixes and the new will invariably have a slightly
different colour and lustre to the existing stuff.

When should the seeds/turf be laid down? Not much point at this time
of year? Spring? March/April?

I'd go for spring once the soil has begun to warm and keep it well
watered. Some TLC and the following year it will be a good lawn.

If you want instant results and have money to burn then turf it.
(like most of the instant gratification gardening programmes do)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown