Old 21-10-2016, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default looks much better this year for CA water

On 10/21/2016 3:24 PM, T wrote:
On 10/21/2016 01:04 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/21/2016 2:06 PM, T wrote:
On 10/20/2016 07:13 AM, songbird wrote:
the collection of reservoirs i watch last year
was around 6-7 million acre feet of water about this
time. this year it is close to 12maf. the reservoirs
that were close to sucking air that were real concerns
were Folsom and McClure, both are doing ok this year.

i hope they get plenty of snow this winter on the
mountains.

songbird

It rained for three days last week here in
Northern Nevada, so CA should have got
a bunch. The mountains (Sierras) now have
snow on them. And it is 75F outside today.

Most of our nearby reservoirs, three, are all full, it rained upstream
several times recently. Unfortunately we are only getting sprinkles
occasionally so we have to water the vegetable gardens and the fruit
trees with a hose frequently.

The Houston, TX area is nearly always getting regular rain, this year
has been an anomaly. Two previous years we got at least two or three
eighteen inch rains and several folks dumb enough to drive off into an
underpass died.

We get three whole inches a year. A 1/2 inch of rain causes
street flooding and flash floods. Go figure

You either live in a cement city or someplace with lots of rocks. We sit
on several hundred feet of ancient sea bed topped with many centuries of
composted plants. Then we buy a house that the builder put five feet of
Houston gumbo clay on top of that fine soil and topped the clay with two
inches of sand. Just so the homeowner's don't have to buy gubmint
insurance for flooding.

In Louisiana we lived on top of a forty foot ancient sand dune with eons
of humus from dying plants and didn't have to buy the gubmint insurance.
Should have stayed there, but our kids, grands, and great grands all
live within less than an hour from us now.

Most people don't even think about what their property sits on top of
then they wonder one of two things, #1-how did I get all this wonderful
soil? #2-what the heck is this stuff under our feet? Then there's people
who live in tall buildings in big cities and think a window box is
wonderful. VBSEG