Old 23-10-2016, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default looks much better this year for CA water

On 10/22/2016 4:55 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
We replaced a large fluorescent fixture in the kitchen last year with a
LED fixture of less wattage, same lighting. Slowly replacing all
fluorescent and incandescent bulbs as they fail with LED's. Seems to be
working and, eventually everything will be LED at a lower power rate.
Seems that LED lights are slowly dropping in cost as more folks use them.

the most heavily used bigger lights have
all been replaced. i figure that they pay for
themselves at the rate of one a year (about
$35 each).

the smaller ones i will need a miracle to
replace them all as we have ceiling track
lights and they are so rarely used i've never
had to replace a lightbulb in any of them in
20yrs (and counting ).

As to rain, here we either are drowning or in a drought, being a Native
to this area of America I grew up in a beautiful, heavily wooded part of
the US, lots of bayou's, creeks, etc., all running water year around.
Now, many years later we are either in a drought or being drowned.
Weather has changed dramatically here and other parts of this state and
world. Historically this happens frequently if you study history and see
what has been going on for eons.

you do know that much of what is going on
has a lot to do with what happens when you
strip off rain absorbing cover and replace
it with concrete, subsoil, or altered lands
(improved drainage via ditches and drainage
tubes) right?

in many areas, even the arid near deserts
as soon as you exclude animals from over-
grazing and leave it alone it will recover
to the point that ground water will begin
feeding springs again. this has been doc-
umented repeatedly.

Yup, I've lived in several US states and at least four foreign countries
in my lifetime. Have seen lush jungles destroyed, and people planting
things in deserts to hold the sand in place. To many people building to
many cities. When we lived in Houston area in the mid-seventies you
could drive around where we live now and it was all farms and ranches,
now it's thousands of houses and more concrete and asphalt roads. Big
difference.

We woke up to 57F this morning, only in the lower seventies now, perhaps
winter might be creeping up on us. I'm still wearing shorts and a tee
shirt but, by tomorrow, may be in long pants again. I'm just glad that
for the last decade I HAVE NOT WORN A SUIT EVEN ONCE. BSEG

it was pretty cool here this morning. 40F.
i had to wear some dress clothes yesterday.
family member got married (yay for them,
they'd been looking for a long time).

Oh yeah, what passes for a fall garden this year has been planted; one
or two winter plants can pass as a garden, right!

i just have a bit of garlic to put in, i
hope i can get to it tomorrow. friends
called the other day and said they had
leaves for me, hopefully some ashes too.
i can use all they want to bring in the
garden i'm working on at the moment. it
was where we had the tomatoes and i could
elevate it a foot and a half and get some
wood chips in there too along with some
ashes and leaves and it will be reconditioned
for a few year's growing.

songbird

I'm showered, shaved, and headed for bed soon, has been a long day, just
waiting for wife to get back from the church bazaar to make sure she's
safe. I go to bed early and get up early, she does the opposite, good
thing we sleep in different beds.