Old 25-10-2016, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Compost Bin Advice

"Derek" wrote

I have been asked by a local charity, to build a number of compost
bins, I plan to do it with pallet boards, but I have a couple of
questions. They will be situated in a field.

1) Would you line them with plastic sheeting?

2) would you put on a lid?

The best compost bin we ever had was a "hot" bin which was lined with
polystyrene all round, it used to get so hot sometimes it spontaneously
combusted in the middle. Local Slow Worms loved it and were good at ridding
my plot of snails.

In your case I would not use plastic but cardboard as it will hold stuff in
including some heat but eventually rots and adds to the compost process. A
plastic lining makes empting more difficult as you have to avoid tearing it.
Personally I would not use a lid as you need some water in the heap to help
with rotting but then I do live in a dry area. Once full I cover my heaps
with bits of cardboard, again to keep a bit of heat in. The partially rotted
cardboard is first thing that goes in a "new" bin.

In a field situation you may well find you have provided a home for some
slow worms and/or grass snakes so be careful when emptying.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.