Old 25-10-2016, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
charliepridham charliepridham is offline

Default Compost Bin Advice

On 25/10/2016 16:37, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:22:15 +0100, "BobHobden"
wrote:

"Derek" wrote

I have been asked by a local charity, to build a number of compost
bins, I plan to do it with pallet boards, but I have a couple of
questions. They will be situated in a field.

In your case I would not use plastic but cardboard as it will hold stuff in
including some heat but eventually rots and adds to the compost process. A
plastic lining makes empting more difficult as you have to avoid tearing it.
Personally I would not use a lid as you need some water in the heap to help
with rotting but then I do live in a dry area.

In a field situation you may well find you have provided a home for some
slow worms and/or grass snakes so be careful when emptying.

And Rats, they are almost a fact of life where compost bins are
concerned especially if a lot of things like out of date veg is put
into them. Like spiders you will rarely get rid of them completely
so it best to assume they have been there and wash hands after
touching things in the area and just manage their presence down to
reasonable numbers and if possible position the bins where the sight
of a Rat isn't going to give anyone the collywobbles or encourage the
Rats to move into a building near the bins.

G.Harman

Its often not what is on the heap that attracts rats but rather the
worms that live in the heap, I gave mine a brick base to stop them
tunnelling in

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk