Old 30-10-2016, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default I've just gone off weed control fabric :(

"BobHobden" wrote in message ...
"Vir Campestris" wrote ...
snip
It took me nearly an hour to dig out one small shrub (roots 50cm across,
20cm deep) followed by having to tease out the weed control fabric layer.
It's no longer completely root proof, and there are some roots going
through it.

snip
I've also seen allotments almost ruined by the use of old carpet where it's
been left so long it's partially rotted and weeds have grown through it
making it impossible to pull up, days of work to just get to the ground,
allotmenteers put off before they start. I always tell people to use
cardboard instead, at least it rots down if left.

Guy next-door bought back a roll of old carpet approx. 17' x 17' (the width
of the allotment). "I've rescued this from a skip - and it's wool".
Confirmed this by showing label. This was 4 years ago. As you say - the
weeds have grown thru, the carpet is still there and the new allotmenteers
are struggling to turn the soil.

Luckily the carpet is at one end and newbies are thinking of using it for
compost heap, cold frames etc. The natural sheep's lanolin would act as a
preservative but there must be other stuff added, for it to last this long.