Old 01-11-2016, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Another Warm Week

On 11/1/2016 4:14 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

On 10/30/2016 8:11 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
It was 78 today, here north of Baltimore, and they're expecting 77 on Thursday. My outdoor shiitake mushroom logs are starting to sprout, so the warm weather should give them time to mature.

Paul

You're pretty close to our temps here in Houston area. We're still
topping 80 regularly and getting up to low fifties. I'm still hoping for
a real winter as the past two years have all been warm. We've planted a
few cabbage, broccoli, etc. in hopes of maybe getting some winter grub.

Same here. 84° (F) @ 4:30 PM; low 60s expected tonight. Not
unusual for now but I'm ready for some cooler days. Spent a fall &
winter in Bainbridge, MD, years ago; brrr. Nights here are getting
right for carrots but days are still far too warm. Okra has just about
had it, although, I still glean a few pods daily. Poor okra: Too cool
to suit it overnight and too shady daytimes. The deciduous trees aren't
even close to shedding. This is a year that the "early" fall English
peas are in full sun during the hottest hours and they're not impressed.
They wilt down briefly but are soon shaded again so I make no effort to
shade or cool them. I'm still holding off on the cabbages, broccoli,
etc. too. Some years I don't get any cauliflower, the here & gone
nature of our cold weather frequently dupes broccoli in to budding far
too early and I stopped with the Brussel's sprouts years ago and never
attempt to grow any crisphead lettuces, regardless of the "heat
tolerant" bs in their descriptions.

Good old Bainbridge, I went there for a cyber class back in late 1959.
More WAVE's walking around than regular sailors. Alas, I was already in
love with my wife and had asked for her hand and all the rest. We
married in 1960 and are still a couple. Navy tried to send me back to
Bainbridge for something I don't remember but I was a short timer so
didn't have to go. I went in as a "kiddie cruiser" and got out the day
before I turned 21, recalled for the Cuban Missile Crisis to active
reserves and was totally ticked off. Turned out the six months I was a
reservist got me the Vietnam Veteran GI bill and wife and I both went to
college we got so much money each month. Thank you Navy, we did well
with those free degrees. She as a school teacher and myself working in
the petrochemical industry as a safety professional.

We stopped trying to grow cauliflower here, it takes forever to make a
head and then the bugs get it. Broccoli does well as does cabbage and
all other greens. Right now we are pestered with very small mosquitoes,
hurt like Hades when they hit you and leave a welt too. This year was
the first time we saw those little devils. The regular Texas mosquito
looks a lot like a sparrow. BSEG

I have never like Brussels sprouts, probably because my Mother loved
them and tried to serve them at every meal. Even my Dad wouldn't eat the
damned things. We can't grow crisphead lettuce either, loose leaf works
well here though. We generally grow several different lettuce over the
winter and early spring. I usually eat a large green salad for dinner
rather than something heavy. Helps me sleep better it seems.