Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] is offline

Default Pheasant Berry seeds

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/11/16 13:49, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/11/16 10:43, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I managed to grab a bunch of the berries from a Pheasant Berry bush
in a
local wood, hoping to grow one. What ought I to do with them now? Can
the seeds, removed from the fruit, now be grown indoors? Or are they
the sort of thing that needs to spend a winter in the soil?

It spreads like a weed, so it won't make any difference. If you have
enough berries, you can try both. But as it is hardy, I'd just put the
seeds in a pot, put it outside, and forget about it until spring when
you should see the seedlings start to grow.

By the way, in my experience it's not a long-lived shrub - maybe a dozen
or so years before it starts going into decline.

I'd heard that it is short-lived. There is one in a garden near ours
that always seems to have looked tired, and really suffers in Winter.
The one I see in the wood seems to be extremely healthy, and I've been
walking past it for at least ten years. The flowers fascinate me for
some reason. The berries are quite nice, too.

You might want to have a look at its relative, C. crocothyrsos. I've
been growing it for a few years, and it seems a lot hardier than is
usually stated. It flowers when quite young, and has bunches of berries
on it. So far these are still green, and if they don't turn that deep
red colour and stain everything they come into contact with, well, that
will be a bonus as far as I am concerned!

Should that be an L. (which is all I can find)? It looks nice. So many
plants, so little space...