Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 AM
jammer

Default Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

On 1 Mar 2003 19:01:39 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

Three weeks ago I planted several different varieties of tomatoes in
cell packs. Most of the tomatoes sprouted long ago, yet none of my
Cherokee Purples have emerged from the soil, and only a single Sun
Gold has sprouted. Are these simply very slow tomatoes to germinate,
or might I have gotten some bad seed?

-Fleemo

I found this. Did you plant them too deep? I only have 3 out of 30
seds i planted up so far but there hasnt been any sun. I suspect i
will end up with the 10 i am going for. Good luck. Maybe plant some
more to be safe?

This old heirloom variety from Tennessee is extremely productive and
has a very rich tomato flavor. Vines produce a large number of medium
sized, 10 oz - 12 oz fruit. The flesh is a unique brick red color with
a rose/purple skin color.

One packet produces 10 plants after thinning.

Days to Maturity: 80
When to Sow Outside: After last frost and when soil temperature is up
to 60 degrees
When to Sow Inside: 6 to 8 weeks before last frost
Seed Depth: 1/8"
Seed Spacing: When starting outdoors, space seeds 6" apart
Row Spacing: 3'
Days to Emerge: 5 - 10
Thinning: When 2" tall, thin to 18" apart.

jammer