Old 27-11-2016, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Chicken Bedding litter

In article ,
says...

Here on Lincolns 'Growing Plot' we have a couple of dozen hens, and
cleaning out the pens produces a fair bit of 'Bedding Litter' mostly
wood shavings, with a high amount of smelly droppings, :-( so fairly
strong stuff, now as we are only starting our project, we don't have a
lot of compost, as we have not had a full season yet, at the moment
this bedding is being stacked up, or to put it technically, 'its
thrown into a heap behind the polytunnel'
Suggestions on what to do with it now, and in the future .

(from 20 years of keeping chickens. We used our chainsaw wood chips in
their shed)

Don't use their bedding fresh on beds, but it's a great compost
activator added in thin layers between green stuff.

Garden/tree contractors may be pleased to have somewhere they can dump
chipped waste without having to pay at the council tip. It's also useful
for garden paths, to suppress weeds and soak up mud.

Janet.