Old 27-11-2016, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Plant torture

"Jeff Layman" wrote

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Is it ok to saw a plant in half so I get two? Yes I know it's out of
focus, I didn't check it before potting the plants, I dunno what the
camera focused on, but I can't see it in the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ite4os19jh...plant.JPG?dl=0

Looks like an aspidistra to me. Yes, you can cut it up into many parts if
you so wish.

There are a few plants I would not cut in half to propagate; most of those
are bulbs, or tubers from cyclamen or begonias.

I actually increase my stock of tuberous begonias by cutting or even
breaking them in half (or more) in the spring when the tubers get too big
for their normal pots, just ensure there are shoots on each bit and they
will simply grow away.

Regards. Bob Hobden.