Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mo' Rain

On 12/5/2016 2:05 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

So far we have received 2.65 inches of gentle rain over three days and
it's still coming down.

"That's right, Baby: When you got it, flaunt it!" That stalled
front that's letting y'all hog the rain is keeping us crackers hot,
humid, and anxious.
http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_sfc.php?inv=0&t=cur. Sky here
remains sunny and clear. The wizards still predict rain in our near
future, however, but have moderated predicted low temperatures for the
next week or so. Good for me but not so good for the garden. I'm antsy
to plant some carrots but as long as nights are ±60 and days are 80+,
there's no point to it.
Received some bare-root strawberry sets Sunday which I intend to
get into the ground late today. I have strawberry farmers in the family
but these are my very first. Not a big favorite among us but, what the
heck, strawberries are pretty and compost is compost. Strawberries are
cool-season annuals in this climate but late November shipping for
Decembeer planting seems late. These berries are a whim. If I decide
to grow strawberries next fall, I'll probably hit up some kinfolks for
fresh seasonal transplants ;-)

My loverly wife loves strawberries, I prefer blackberries and dew
berries. Strawberries don't grow well here but she keeps trying.
Blackberries and dew berries are native to this part of Texas. The State
even doesn't mow the road verges in spring until berry season is over.
Not unusual to see several vehicles parked along a country road with
berry picker butts facing the road.

If I can get her to get some of her flowers out of the gardens along the
fence I would get some domestic dewberries and plant them there. I may
do it anyway as the blueberry plants we put in two years ago won't grow
worth a darn. I suspect dewberries would do much better as there isn't
much sunshine in that spot.

Looks like the fog isn't going to rise, I don't think we will do any
driving for a day or two.

George