Old 06-12-2016, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mo' Rain

On 12/6/2016 12:13 PM, Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

no idea what their habit is when grown that far
south, i just know i luv 'em.

i had a bunch of frozen berries put up for
short-cakes, went to take them out of the freezer
a few weeks ago for the first round and found out
that they had been slow fermenting ever since i
put them in there. edible if you like spongy
semi-fermented strawberries. a few pints have
been edible (likely from the year before). so
the worms will get about 10 pints of fermented
strawberries tomorrow.

Shoot, I can easily see how fermeted strawberries might become the
next health food fad. Read up on kefir grains.
I dunno what it takes to freeze strawberries but the sugar that fed
the fermentation might require "very" cold. My parents froze fresh
strawberries successfully but I don't know of any special steps or
requirements. I never have tried to freeze strawberries. I've never
grown strawberries of my own or bought strawberries, frozen or
otherwise. Strawberry "preserves"—basically, strawberries cooked in
sugar syrup—is another story, though.

I freeze all berries on a cookie pan and then bag them. Have not had a
problem with them that way.