Old 07-12-2016, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mo' Rain

On 12/6/2016 8:09 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

no idea what their habit is when grown that far
south, i just know i luv 'em.

i had a bunch of frozen berries put up for
short-cakes, went to take them out of the freezer
a few weeks ago for the first round and found out
that they had been slow fermenting ever since i
put them in there. edible if you like spongy
semi-fermented strawberries. a few pints have
been edible (likely from the year before). so
the worms will get about 10 pints of fermented
strawberries tomorrow.

Shoot, I can easily see how fermeted strawberries might become the
next health food fad. Read up on kefir grains.

haha, yeah, i know the fermentation craze has
been going around the self-help groups for several
years now.

I dunno what it takes to freeze strawberries but the sugar that fed
the fermentation might require "very" cold. My parents froze fresh
strawberries successfully but I don't know of any special steps or
requirements. I never have tried to freeze strawberries. I've never
grown strawberries of my own or bought strawberries, frozen or
otherwise. Strawberry "preserves"—basically, strawberries cooked in
sugar syrup—is another story, though.

I freeze all berries on a cookie pan and then bag them. Have not had a
problem with them that way.

we rarely have any kind of room in the freezer
for a cookie sheet and all that air space in bagged
frozen individual fruits would take up a lot of room.

That's why I freeze berries, etc. on a cookie sheet and then put them in
a vacuum bag. No extra air space. Do the same with chopped peppers, etc.
Takes less space in the freezer, take it out, put it in the fridge to
thaw, then cook it. Wash the bag, let it dry, use it down to one weenie
size then toss the bag. G There's always a little space for a cookie
sheet.

Derald, if you don't much like strawberries you'd
not understand, but the difference between cooked
strawberry jam and strawberry freezer jam is quite
a bit. i can't even much enjoy cooked strawberry
jam that much any more i'm so used to the other kind.

as for the rest of it, no, if the strawberries i'd
put up weren't overripe and already starting to
ferment when they went in the jars they'd have been
fine. i've learned that lesson!

good thing that freezer jam is a workable substitute
for frozen strawberries, but it's very sweet in
comparison.

songbird