Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Ogilvie Malcolm Ogilvie is offline

Default Carrot fly

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 16:39:09 -0000 (UTC), (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

The last couple of years, we have grown the F1 hybrid "Fly Away" (an
early main crop)
without using mesh or any other kind of barrier, and we can report
complete success with
good crops of carrots of a good size and flavour and with no fly damage
at all. We get our
seeds from the Organic Gardening Catalogue.

Thanks, but ....

I planted Sytan, Resistafly and Flyaway for many years, and found no
difference. They all were riddled with fly by October and unusable
by December. Planting Phacelia around them didn't help, either.
I can't remember whether the current ones are Resistafly or Flyaway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I see that the RHS recommends:

"Sow carrots after late-spring to avoid the first generation of carrot fly larvae. Harvest
the roots by late-August, before the second generation of larvae emerges."

Malcolm