Old 19-12-2016, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaf fall this year

On 19/12/16 14:32, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Is it just that the trees and I am getting older, or have others
noticed that the leaf fall seems to be unusually heavy this year?

We've been here only 5 years, but I would say that this year seems to
have had the heaviest leaf fall. But, I would also say that where the
leaves fall depends on the wind direction. Our 18 metre ash is against
the north fence, and our neighbour's similarly-sized beech is just over
the east fence. The winds are usually from the south-west, so the leaves
fall on the other side of the fences and don't bother us. This year,
however, has seen a long run of north-easterlies, so those ash and beech
leaves have ended up in our garden.

You said in a reply that you have had more wheelbarrow loads on the
compost heap this year. I assume you just rake them up and don't use a
leaf vacuum to collect them. One possible reason for a perception that
there are more leaves is that the leaf vac shredder is not working as
well as usual (I have to replace my shredding line), and the bag needs
to emptied more frequently.

--

Jeff