Old 03-02-2017, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A Ready Hedge

On 02/02/17 23:15, David Rance wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 22:25:36 Jeff Layman wrote:

On 02/02/17 15:20, john west wrote:

We wish to build a long hedge (non spiky) that keeps its leaves on all
winter. It will kept at about 5 feet tall.

Is there another *common* hedge around that i can readily snaffle some
cuttings from it. Also being one that i can easily root the cuttings in
pots to get it going without much problem? Thanks

Privet. Late March is the right time to start taking cuttings. Maybe
you can find someone with a privet hedge and offer to trim it for them.
That should give you hundreds of cuttings.

But there are versions of privet which do lose their leaves. I have a
privet hedge where some of the plants seem to be deciduous and the rest
evergreen. Makes for an interesting-looking boundary in winter!

The most common hedging privet seen in the UK is Ligustrum ovalifolium.
That is evergreen unless the winter is severe when it will lose some of
its leaves. In my garden there is a plant of L. vulgare. I assume it is
self-sown as I can't think of any reason why anyone would want this
scruffy, uninteresting, sparsely-berried, deciduous plant!

--

Jeff