Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Theo[_4_] Theo[_4_] is offline

Default Brush clearing

Chris Hogg wrote:
As others have said, what's the area, roughly, and why isn't petrol
power an option?

It's an issue with transport to site - isn't a good idea to take petrol on
public transport. Area is about 20 x 30m, fairly thick (ie you can't walk
inside).

Battery systems are fine for maintenance of small
gardens, but haven't got the power or endurance for larger jobs. If
you really can't use petrol, then I think the only realistic approach
is clearing by hand. A pair of extendable or long-handled ratchet
loppers (I prefer anvil types rather than bypass, but it's a personal
thing). The ratchet action allows greater cutting force to be applied,
and with the leverage of the long handles, mine will happily cut
through 3 cm branches. Plenty available he
http://tinyurl.com/zvt5esq

Thanks. I think that's the right conclusion - also easier to carry.
Any particular recommendations?

A pruning saw for the thicker stuff. After cutting everything down,
you've got the stumps to deal with, or they will just re-sprout. A
grub-axe is the weapon of choice IMO (mattock blade on one side, axe
blade on the other: http://tinyurl.com/gp68dsn ).

I'm not bothered by having the stumps in place, but would rather not have to
do the same again next year. Is it feasible to treat the stumps with
something to prevent regrowth?

Theo