Old 03-02-2017, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default A Ready Hedge

On 03/02/2017 13:03, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 08:56:18 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 02/02/2017 22:21, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 15:20:54 +0000, john west
wrote:

We wish to build a long hedge (non spiky) that keeps its leaves on all
winter. It will kept at about 5 feet tall.

Is there another *common* hedge around that i can readily snaffle some
cuttings from it. Also being one that i can easily root the cuttings in
pots to get it going without much problem? Thanks

Beech taken from beech woods.

Beech keeps its leaves on all winter but they are golden brown rather
than evergreen. Lonicera nitida is one of the finer grained hedging
plants and fairly common and easy to root.

You don't want anything too fast growing.

This means you will need to be very patient waiting for your hedge from
cuttings to get to any size. You would probably be better off buying
bare root plants in autumn at 30cm size. If it is a really long hedge
consider planting blocks of about 3m the same with a variation in choice
of bush along the length. A big block all the same looks boring.

When I made a beech hedge 40 odd years ago, I took beech that was around one
metre long that was growing wild on the ground of a wood. We used a similar size
bought in a garden centre to extend the hedge around the garden of our current
house.

These days in the UK taking anything with roots from the wild is now
frowned upon unless it is a pernicious weed being eradicated.

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=217

Himalayan balsam, knotweed, ragweed, rhododenron for example.

Squirrels plant plenty of beech masts in my lawns.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown