Old 04-02-2017, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Brush clearing

In article ,
says...

My instinct would be for a good pair of classic manual long handled
bypass loppers.

I agree.

I recommend Felco brand. Any large shed or garden centre should sell
them. While you're there, buy some stump killer.

You want to cut the stems level right at ground level; walking on
narrow spiky stumps one or two inches high will be uncomfortable and a
trip hazard.

Then when you've cut them all down, follow the instructions on the
packet and paint the cut surface of the stumps with the stump killer,
(an old paintbrush will do the job) to kill the roots and prevent them
sprouting again.

The other suggestions by the OP are all poor in my experience. The
loppers are a safe and economical choice, will do a good job and then be
a useful garden tool afterwards.

Janet.