Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heated Sand Box

On 06/02/2017 12:49, Judith in England wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 11:36:10 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:57:07 +0000, Judith in England
wrote:

I am putting in a new box in to my greenhouse which I will fill with sand and
put in a heating cable.

Some websites say bury the cable - others say leave on surface.

Views please?

On surface - or if buried - how deep?

I had one years ago, with the cable buried between 1 and 2 inches down
in the sand, and with the thermostat also in the sand but not in
contact with the cable. Burying the cable allows the temperature to
even out and equalise before it reaches the underside of whatever you
have in the box. Otherwise you get hot strips and cool strips, and the
thermostat measures the air temperature not the sand temperature.

Excellent - good points - cheers

As Chris says bury about 2" down with 2" below the cables and keep the
sand damp to allow the heat to spread

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall