Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Cooper Beech & Leylandii

On 7 Feb 2017 17:41, Master Baggins wrote:

Hi

I have a neighbour who has a 25ft Copper Beech hanging over in my garden
which is not tended at all, plus 4 x 35ft Leylandii which are equally
unloved.

He is an awkward man so I really need to know the best and legal way of
asking him
a) prune and look after his copper beech
and
b) remove leylandii or can they be cut down to a 12 ft size?

These trees are now overshadowing my home (a bungalow) and blocking
light and sunlight

Many thanks
MB

If the Laylandii are in a line, a hedge, then they should not be taller
than 2 metres and you can pay your local Council, I think it's £400,
to inspect and if they find in your favour they will demand he reduce
the height to the legal maximum. The £400 is not refundable though.

If the Copper Beech is overhanging your garden/home then you are
entitled to prune it back to the boundary. However the prunings are
his so you have to offer them to him, or you could just throw them
back over the fence if you want a war. Otherwise there is nothing you
can do.

The best and easiest way would be to talk to your neighbour and come to
an agreement, perhaps offer to cover some of the costs involved.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden