Old 10-02-2017, 01:41 PM
JBL2527 JBL2527 is offline
Registered User

Default Introducing Goldfish into a pond ???

Always had a garden pond with goldfish/grass carp, water circulation and plants etc.
Last autumn we moved to another house. There is a well established, well built pond, circular, approx 3m diameter and over 1.5m deep. There are just plants in it. No shelving sides just straight down !.
There must be quite a lot of fermenting vegetation at the bottom as it bubbles away in warmer weather. No fish.
I like fish. Not an expert, I just like to see them, just ordinary goldfish.
I rather think that I must improve the water quality and oxygen content for fish to survive so…..
1. Oxygenating plants. I can get a variety but do I let them float on the top or sink them to the bottom ?
2. Water circulation. Outdoor power is available so I can put in a pump. This could power a waterfall feature ( had one before and plenty of stone available to build one) plus a fountain of some sort.
Would these measures enable fish to survive or do I need to do more ?
If this is OK then how long before I can put some fish in ?
Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks all.
Brian.