Old 15-02-2017, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default shallow-rooted, dense-shade producing ground cover for around newtree?

On 15 Feb 2017 08:17, wrote:
Can anyone suggest some options? I'm looking for a low-cost, shallow-rooted ground cover plant that provides dense shade, for planting around tree saplings. This would be to (a) stifle weeds, and (b) provide shade and shelter for frogs. Something that doesn't send runners everywhere would be ideal, though I don't mind if it spreads in an easily-controllable wa

y. Something that keeps its leaves year-round would be ideal. If it also adds nitrogen to the soil, that would be an excellent bonus.

Many thanks!

Al_w

IME be careful planting anything like that around tree seedlings, they
can take all the goodness, and worse, all the moisture from the trees.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden