Old 16-02-2017, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default shallow-rooted, dense-shade producing ground cover for around newtree?

On 15/02/2017 23:21, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 4:46:37 PM UTC, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 15 Feb 2017 08:17,
wrote:
Can anyone suggest some options? I'm looking for a low-cost,
shallow-rooted ground cover plant that provides dense shade, for
planting around tree saplings. This would be to (a) stifle weeds,
and (b) provide shade and shelter for frogs. Something that
doesn't send runners everywhere would be ideal, though I don't
mind if it spreads in an easily-controllable wa

y. Something that keeps its leaves year-round would be ideal. If it
also adds nitrogen to the soil, that would be an excellent bonus.

Many thanks!

IME be careful planting anything like that around tree seedlings,
they can take all the goodness, and worse, all the moisture from
the trees.

Hi Bob, Thanks; but I actually said "sapling" not "seedling". it's a
young tree, about 5 feet tall. Al_w

Even so a newly planted tree needs TLC and no competition around it for
at least a couple of years after planting. It is easy to lose a yearling
transplanted tree by failing to water it properly in a hot summer.

I tend to kill the grass for 2-3' around a new planted sapling.

As for a shallow rooted evergreen groundcover that isn't too invasive
I'd suggest vinca major 'variegata'. The raw form is bordering on an
invasive weed but the variegated one is quite controllable.

Plant them some distance from the tree and let it spread.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown