Old 18-02-2017, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Salford Black runner beans

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of these?

No. What is their claim to fame? Salford in Lancashire seems an unlikely
place to grow runner beans so which Salford is it?

I have just come back from a trip to New Zealand, and I heard that
some people grow a black-seeded runner bean that has a very good
flavour. I failed to find any seed in the shops, but I searched
only in passing, and a Web search indicates that Salford Black is
the most likely candidate. I shall try personal enquiries to one
of the bloggers.

Incidentally, NZ grow hubbard squashes, which are MUCH better than
pumpkins, and their standard one is what they call a crown type
(e.g. Whangaroa Crown). Very like Queensland Blue, but it ripens
in the UK. But I also bought seed of a Japanese type (which is
probably available in the UK) and a few slightly bizarre herbs.

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

(Just what I need: another variety for my wish list...)

I also bought seed of Shiny Fardenlosa climbing French bean, which
looks interesting. All of the green climbing French bean I have
been able to grow have germinated badly, cropped poorly and tasted
of very little; the blue ones do well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.