Old 21-02-2017, 03:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Stepladder

On 21/02/17 15:30, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
I need to do occasional stepladder work - trimming trees and my
neighbour's laurel, plus cleaning the caravan roof and seasonally
draping Christmas lights. My existing stepladder is not really
high enough, and stability can also be marginal.

I am wondering if it is time, as a precautionary investment to
reduce the risk of injury, to get something better.

The Rolls Royce solution might be something like the 10 ft
version of this:
https://www.niwaki.com/store/niwaki-tripod-ladder/

A tripod ladder is a bad idea, as they are a lot less stable than
a corresponding quadrupod one. We bought an industrial-grade one
from Mackays at 150 quid (versus 50 quid for the 'domestic') and
have not regretted it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Can you explain why tree surgeons almost always have a tripod ladder?

They have a very wide area of footing and 3 legs is inherently stable on
unplanar ground.