Old 22-02-2017, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Lawn treatment, and equipment

Hi all

The chap I do gardening for has a very large stretch of grass in his
garden; I'd guess half the size of a football pitch, using the age-old
popular measurement. The garden used to be a field (2 or 3 decades
ago, but I doubt the "lawn" was ever laid, which is why I call it
"grass"; it's inherently wet, drains poorly, and is clayey.

I've cut the grass for a couple of years now -- it looks OK from a
distance, in summer. But I would like to treat it this Spring to
encourage the grass, and discourage (preferably kill, eradicate, destroy
utterly) the buttercups.

So I need equipment ... I'm thinking one of the those wheel-along
rotary spreaders? -- They must have a pretty wide scatter range.

And I need a jolly good chemical for the job.

There's a plethora of "solutions" from manufacturers, all expensive. The
chap whose garden it is may well 'spring' for good equipment +
treatment, but I don't want to make a poor decision -- which is why I've
come here to ask the question: nothing like hands-on experience for
helping make a decision.

TIA
John