Old 23-02-2017, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Lawn treatment, and equipment

On 22/02/2017 22:12, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I only seriously persecute dandelions and buttercups in my lawn (and
ground elder). I let daisies and other small wild flowers alone.

Martin - thanks very much -- valuable advice there. How do you apply
the treatment? Is it dry, and thus spread by a wheel-along, or a
solution, and sprayed (presumably via a backpack)?

The weed & feed is dry pellets. I have a dispenser. It will burn the
grass if you get too much on one patch so be careful. Also do it on a
still day although pelleted the fines can drift quite a long way.

The broadleaf specific herbicide is a liquid and I do it with a backpack
and spray wand a couple of times a year to spot weed any new up and
coming weeds. Adjacent meadows provide plenty of thistle seeds and the
buttercup always returns somewhere every year.

By the way I'm not worried about moss: it comes every year, it goes
every year -- eventually!

Snag with weed & feed is that it turns moss black so you will need to
rake the worst of it out after treatment to allow the grass to thrive. I
don't treat my mum's lawn because it is mostly moss for that reason.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown