Old 23-02-2017, 09:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Stepladder

On 22/02/2017 09:39, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I am sorry. I was assuming that most people knew how to use a step
ladder safely. One of the critical things to do is to put small
sheets of wood, concrete etc. under the feet to stabilise the ladder.
That is as important for a tripod as a tetrapod, because it is
critical that the ladder does not lean significantly towards one of
the sides of the enclosing polygon. Yes, that is slightly easier for
a tripod, but not doing it for either kind is a serious error.

If you have a tripod ladder with well spread legs it will be stable on
any piece of firm, near level ground.

This is not the case for one with 4 or more legs.

I have direct experience of using both types. Do you?

Andy