Old 26-02-2017, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Compost Bins

On 26/02/2017 20:35, Janet wrote:
I have 3 (only because our council gives them away) and have them
stashed out of sight around the garden to dump weeds in. Compared with
me real compost bins (4 ft cubes made with pallets) plastic bins don't
ever heat up much and are very slow. You can forget "shovel it out the
bottom"...doesn't work. But they are a no-labour system. Every so often
I lift off the dalek from its mostly rotted contents, like taking the
bucket off sandpies, and leave the compost in situ for birds to spread,
move the dalek to new spot.

I have two.

You can't turn the compost. The only real way to do it is to lift it
off, move the compost, put it back and refill.

And as Janet says - forget the door.

Andy