Old 27-02-2017, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Compost Bins

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:35:00 -0000, Janet wrote:

I'm wondering about one of these plastic conical bins, put it
in at the top, shovel it out at the bottom.

Do they really work well, or will I need 2 of them (I'm not
thinking of the heated type).

I have 3 (only because our council gives them away) and have them
stashed out of sight around the garden to dump weeds in. Compared with
me real compost bins (4 ft cubes made with pallets) plastic bins don't
ever heat up much and are very slow. You can forget "shovel it out the
bottom"...doesn't work. But they are a no-labour system. Every so often
I lift off the dalek from its mostly rotted contents,

Very similar to what I was going to type,

And ditto. I am a lifelong compost-maker (read: experimenter), and
shunned these plastic things for years. Then for space reasons I tried
one: amazing. For several years now I've had three: each year I empty
one, invert the contents of the next one, ditto for the next, and the
resulting empty bin gets the current years material.

To empty: lift off the plastic shell. To fork compost, everyone needs a
muck fork, available at your local farmers' supplier, or, e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Gardening...rong-48-Inch-H
andle/B002VA4CCO

- a Top-Ten Tool!

John