Old 01-03-2017, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Race[_2_] Malcolm Race[_2_] is offline

Default Ivy control

On 28/02/2017 01:17, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Have taken over property that has about 60 yards of 45 degree banking covered in ivy, which is fine as ground cover goes, but it has been left to run riot for several years, pushed over and grown through boundary chainlink fence at top of bank.

Also currently have `evergreen` mountain ash and silver birch on the banking because the ivy has climbed up it uncontrolled for , er, some time.

Have cut through vines at base of trees but would like to arrest the spread across an old roadway where it appears to be a mature covering a few inches deep.

Guess there is no alternative but manual removal in large, but what chemical attack might start the process off or at least deter continued spread?

Thanks!

Can I recommend Ammonium Sulphamate AKA Root Out).
http://www.garden-products.info/rootout.htm
Following EU rulings it is only allowe to be used as a compost
accellerator but it is effective a composting ivy and other shrubs in
situ. A word of warning!! I was trying to kill ivy on a brick wall and
cut all of the stems. The ivy still survived, presumably becaqure it
was drawing moistute from the wall through the anchor 'roots which held
it to tjhr wall. Sprsaying the wall with root out soon killed the growth

The ivy clinging to your trees may be a similar example but I would not
speculate on what efect sptaying the trees would have on the trees!

Malcolm