Old 06-03-2017, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moisture meter recs please

On 06/03/17 10:33, Maurice Goldstein wrote:
I've tried those 2 quid meters you get in garden centres. Battery-less with
2 prongs which measure moisture, light and pH but I find these useless.

That's because they are useless.

Has anyone got a moisture meter, accurate enough for seed trays and flower
pots? TIA.

Well, I have one which seems pretty accurate and works all the time.
You've got one as well, which you can find on the distal end of your
hand. Yes, a finger. Why do you need something to tell you that the soil
moisture content is 24%, 57% 93%, or whatever? As long as your average
seedlings don't dry out and don't get waterlogged they will be happy.
Just make sure any drainage holes aren't blocked, and the surface isn't
soaking wet or bone dry. Your finger is ideal for this.

You'll be better off using capillary matting and standing pots and
seedtrays on that than using any moisture meters if you're worried about
them being too dry or too wet.

--

Jeff