Old 11-03-2017, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness[_2_] Compo in Caithness[_2_] is offline

Default Compost Bins

On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:52:02 UTC, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having down-sized garden, I no longer need the 2 large compost
containes that I left behind.

I'm wondering about one of these plastic conical bins, put it
in at the top, shovel it out at the bottom.

Do they really work well, or will I need 2 of them (I'm not
thinking of the heated type).

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Roger,

If you are still watching this thread may I say that we have used four compost bins for about twenty years now. We fill one and then move the material along to the next bin and so on until it reaches the fourth bin, usually after a year or so. From the final bin it then goes into our bigger pallet composters. WE don't use the stuff from the fourth bin because it is always a bit coarse at that stage. A final period in the bigger open composters breaks it down to a better, more usable mulch.

That said, we don't use accelerators at all and I think that the use of such things might speed up the process considerably. Like you used to have, we have plenty of room to let things sit for as long as it takes.