Old 14-03-2017, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ivy control

On 06/03/2017 21:49, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

SBK has more aggressive wetting agents in and is supposed to work a
bit better on ivy but I have never bothered. I just go for manual
removal followed by a bonfire fuelled by dried bramble and brushwood.
It comes off in handfuls if you grab hold and pull hard (unlike
honeysuckle where even a relatively thin stem will resist my entire
body weight).

A drop or two of Fairy Liquid (or similar) helps it to wet 'waxy'
leaves. However, as it's not approved for horticultural purpose, I
believe that is against the EU rules.

It doesn't really make a lot of difference adding washing up liquid -
the commercial glyphosate formulations already contain way more powerful
surfactants than those used for washing dishes. In fact the main danger
to users who are cavalier about handling the stuff comes from the
surfactants and adjuvants and not from the active ingredient!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown