Old 16-03-2017, 12:53 AM
MaxDread MaxDread is offline
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown[_2_] View Post
On 15/03/2017 11:20, MaxDread wrote:
Hi all

I am new to fruit trees, having bought some last year. Now is the time
to prune and I have been reading loads about the subject but am still
unsure as to what would be best.... For these three trees I don't know
whether they would be best suited to an open vase shape or central
leader. They were bought last year as "2-year bush" trees; suggesting
they were pruned to be open vase at the nursery. The nursery said that
they could be trained to either form, but when I spoke to another
nursery about them I was told it would be best to stick to the original
form (open vase) and not to change it at this stage of development.

They are still young and small enough that this year you can probably
get away with "if in doubt do nowt" as a working policy. Just cut out
any crossing branches, really weak or diseased growth and do it soon
(too late where I am for pruning fruit - my pear tree almost in flower).

RHS does a rather good fruit pruning guidebook available in libraries.

I'd let them get to the height you want and then think about tweaking
the shape when you have seen another years extra growth. Basically you
want a good airflow round the branches and plenty of sun on the tree.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown