Old 17-03-2017, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Rhubarb woes

On 15/03/2017 12:09, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/03/2017 15:08, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Of my 3 rhubarb plants, all grew fairly well to well last year,
but two of them have put up only a few spindly shoots this year.
I assume that I have to start again, but is that likely to mean
that I need to get new stock (as distinct from taking offsets)?

I don't know. I have never had anything other than vigorous growth out
of mine on a heavy clay soil. It gets forced most years but then left to
its own devices when we get fed up with rhubarb.

Last year was a bit peculiar with the warm weather as the unforced plant
had new shoots on Xmas day sufficient for rhubarb crumble!!!

Sounds to me as if they need a good helping of farmyard manure.
David @ a dull side of Swansea Bay

---
http://www.avg.com