Old 27-04-2017, 10:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default raised beds

On 26/04/17 15:15, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some
people use pressure treated decking boards like these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Premi...-2-4m/p/101000

Is this the best timber to use?

Is there a danger of the preservative leaching into the soil? I was
hoping to grow some vegetables to eat and do not want to poison
myself!

Some web sites suggest putting a plastic sheet between the wood and
the soil to prevent this contamination but other web sites do not
mention it; is it necessary?

What is the best way to screw four pieces of timber together to make a
rectangular raised bed? I was thinking that I would need to sue a
piece of 2x2 in each corner and screw into these. Half of the 2x2
could be buried in the ground to anchor it.

However, is anchoring necessary: will the weight of the soil no hold
it in place?

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

What is the best way of doing things?

Thanks,
Stephen.

You could use western red cedar or thermowood to avoid the problems with
preservatives. Thermowood is decking that been cooked and is fairly rot
resistant. Sometimes B&Q have it.

Red cedar is not cheap but pretty rot resistant untreated (not as much
as teak though).