Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cucumber / gherkin / corgettes / aubergines etc.

On 02/05/2017 16:03, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

We have finally built our greenhouse and now need to start planting in
it. We would like to grow cucumbers both the "normal" type and a
gherkin type and also some courgettes and tomatoes, aubergines, etc.

Courgettes will easily grow outdoors in a normal UK summer. Don't waste
greenhouse space on them. I grow a couple on top of my year old compost
heap. The others are properly tender although tomatoes will grow
outdoors in a good year they may get blight.

Peppers and chillis are also worth it in the greenhouse. Melons if you
are feeling brave and can pamper them enough to get a decent crop.

I have never had much luck with aubergines even when I lived in Belgium.
Everything else I have grown more or less successfully.

I tend to grow unusual tomato varieties not available in the shops (some
have tasted good and some like wet cardboard). Gardeners delight is easy
and reliable. Worst recent one was a newish nominally black variety
whose name escapes me. Looked bad when ripe and tasted worse.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown