Old 03-05-2017, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default cucumber / gherkin / corgettes / aubergines etc.

On 02/05/2017 16:03, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

We have finally built our greenhouse and now need to start planting in
it. We would like to grow cucumbers both the "normal" type and a
gherkin type and also some courgettes and tomatoes, aubergines, etc.

I realise that we are a little late to do this from seed and that some
of you were doing this a couple of months ago but hopefully next year
we will be more organised. However, I can see on the back of seed
packets that some varieties can be sown in May, so hopefully all is
not lost, and I could always buy plants if it is too late for the
seeds.

I'm just wondering now that we have the option of raised beds or a
greenhouse, is it always preferable to use the greenhouse? Are
greenhouse varieties always more successful/prolific? Are greenhouse
ones less likely to succumb to problems such as blight?

I see some varieties of aubergine, cucumber, tomato can be grown in a
greenhouse or outside. I suppose at some point you run out of
greenhouse space, so what varieties do you grow outside and what do
you grow in your greenhouse?

All the outdoor cucumbers I have seen have male and female flowers
which you need to keep for pollination. From what I have read on the
internet, many greenhouse cucumbers are female only, however reading
the detailed description about the seeds, it says to remove the male
flowers. Does this mean that female cucumbers are not always just
female and sometimes have flowers of each sex? I thought female only
might save me some work but it sounds as if I would still have to
check the flowers, so there may not be any advantage over a mixed-sex
variety.

What varieties of cucumber, courgette, aubergine, tomato, etc do you
grow?

I'm in Staffordshire if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Stephen.

It's going to depend on the size of your greenhouse.