Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default growing herbs in pots

In article ,
Stephen wrote:

Which herbs?

thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, lavender, mint, cloves, lemon balm.

Right. Thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary and lavender are all
Mediterranian plants, need a free-draining soil, and should be
watered only when very dry - e.g. usually not at all in winter,
and only in dry weather in summer. They need full sun. Don't
bother fertilising them, unless they are in a VERY poor soil.
Incidentally, a sandy John Innes compost (i.e. soil-based) is much
better than soilless composts for these.

Mint and chives (which I assume is what you mean by cloves) are
waterside plants, and DO like regular watering. They don't need
direct sunlight, but need a light position.

Lemon balm is a thug, I don't grow it, and am not sure.

I did also grow basil but I believe that is an annual, so I lost that
but have just planted new seeds.

It is actually a perennial - in the tropics! Grow it as an annual,
in a warm position and keep it well-watered. Watch out for aphids.
A UK summer is often too cold for it outside - a sunny window ledge
or similar is often best.

The mint was described as peppermint but reading on the internet
suggests peppermint is a sterile hybrid, so I am not sure what they
have sold me!

Quite.

I have just planted lemon grass and chamomile and would like lemon
verbena if I could find someone selling seeds (I have found plants for
sale but I would have liked to grow from seed, buying plants just
seems like cheating!)

Lemon grass is tropical and, apparently, can take dry conditions.
But it will need all the heat and sunlight you can give it, and to
be brought in (and kept fairly dry) in the winter. Winter wet kills
more 'tender' plants than frost does.

I loathe chamomile, so don't grow it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.