Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen[_8_] Stephen[_8_] is offline

Default growing herbs in pots

On Fri, 5 May 2017 11:48:33 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

Right. Thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary and lavender are all
Mediterranian plants, need a free-draining soil, and should be
watered only when very dry - e.g. usually not at all in winter,
and only in dry weather in summer. They need full sun. Don't
bother fertilising them, unless they are in a VERY poor soil.
Incidentally, a sandy John Innes compost (i.e. soil-based) is much
better than soilless composts for these.

Thank you for your help.

At the moment they are in seed compost. Do you think I should repot
into something different?

I now believe that I did it wrong by sowing straight into pots and
that I should have used a seed tray first and then transplanted when
big enough. I can't remember why I didn't do this! At least I have
learnt how to do it properly for next time.

I give them a light watering daily at the moment but that's because
they are in clay pots in full sun. They were not watered as frequently
in the winter but that was probably due to my laziness rather than
being intentional!

Mint and chives (which I assume is what you mean by cloves)

Yes, chives. The spell checker must have changed it when I wasn't
looking!

waterside plants, and DO like regular watering. They don't need
direct sunlight, but need a light position.

Lemon balm is a thug, I don't grow it, and am not sure.

Thug in what way: does it spread like mint?