Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cucumber / gherkin / corgettes / aubergines etc.

On 05/05/2017 14:19, Stephen wrote:
On Wed, 3 May 2017 08:56:14 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Courgettes will easily grow outdoors in a normal UK summer. Don't waste
greenhouse space on them. I grow a couple on top of my year old compost
heap. The others are properly tender although tomatoes will grow
outdoors in a good year they may get blight.

Thank you.

Do you recommend a particular variety of courgette?

They are much of a muchness. I tend to grow bulky ones called Defender
and a yellow variety Parador something. Even with a just couple of
plants you will have to give them away or live entirely on courgettes!

You only have to miss one for a few days and it is a small marrow!

What is the consensus about cucumbers: inside or outside? Mixed sex or
female?

I reckon cucumbers need the extra warmth to do anything worthwhile and
aubergines even more so. Again they will produce more fruit than you can
sensibly eat (or none at all if they don't get going).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown