Old 05-05-2017, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default growing herbs in pots

On 05/05/17 12:48, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Lemon grass is tropical and, apparently, can take dry conditions.
But it will need all the heat and sunlight you can give it, and to
be brought in (and kept fairly dry) in the winter. Winter wet kills
more 'tender' plants than frost does.

I have grown lemon grass in the conservatory for several years. Mine
doesn't like being dry, but has also never grown well! I've never
succeeded in getting any to put in food, but it does smell nice when you
crush the leaves. However, they are also a bit sticky.

I also grew lemon verbena in the conservatory. But it is a very scruffy
plant and drops its leaves all over the place. It also leaves the floor
under it somewhat sticky, so The Management has decided it has to go.
I've now stuck it outside in a very sheltered position between our house
and our neighbour's house, protected by a fence on the east side, and
getting some afternoon sun. It will be interesting to see if it survives
next winter.

--

Jeff