Old 08-05-2017, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Disaster

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 8 May 2017 13:23:36 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I left some strips of leek and lettuce seedlings in a low tray
of water overnight, together with some bedding plants.

This morning, no seedling! All the soil had been dug into and
the majority of the seedlings eaten (found a few lettuce
floating in the water). some of the bedding plants (pansy's)
dug up, but not apparently eaten. But what would have done
this?

The strips have been outside (around the other side of the
house) for a week or so, but on a low wall most of the time.

I'm wondering about rats or mice, but I've not seen any
evidence. I'm in a town environment and the garden is I would
think secure from dogs & foxes.

Birds, specifically pigeons?

Yes, that is a possibility as there are some around, but why
did they go for thm now when they were in water as they were on
the other side of the house (nearer the trees) before that.
Admittedly the area was a bit more enclosed, but they do sit on
the fence above frequently.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales